Friday 23 December 2011

A Week at Home

My son's school ended last week, and it hit me rather belatedly that I was going to have to look after both children by myself all day all this week.  The horror!

Actually, the surprise was that I wasn't afraid of it.  I had to do it in the summer, back when I was sleep deprived and unable to think straight.  I was miserable and convinced that I was failing as a mother.  But now my daughter is mobile and more independent, my son has got over his terrible twos, and I've caught up on my sleep, by and large. 

I was trying to think of different outings for every day, but this close to Christmas, we had too many errands to run.  Meanwhile, most of my son's friends have gone to spend Christmas with their extended families, and my husband was working late hours all week, so it was just me and the children a lot.

And it was absolutely fine.  On Monday, I took my daughter to her baby gym class, and brought my son along as well.  Knowing that the class would be significantly smaller than usual, I asked if he could sit in with us and was given the OK.  I warned him that this was gymtime for the babies and small toddlers, so he mustn't play rough.  I know that, on the whole, he's quite good at listening, and I was counting on his unfamiliarity with the place to inhibit him somewhat, but I was fully prepared to leave if it all went horribly wrong.

It didn't.  I can't describe how proud of him I was for playing nicely and listening to me.  There was one occasion when I had my hands full with my daughter and he started to climb on a trampoline that another toddler was using.  The rule was one child on the trampoline at a time, and I called to him that it wasn't his turn right now.  He promptly got off.   The girl helping to run the class was very impressed and got him a sticker.

Throughout the class, he behaved impeccably, having lots of fun with the equipment, but never hindering the smaller children nor demanding priority for himself.  I was so delighted with him for being responsible, for being at a social / emotional level where he could do that...  After a rough summer behaviour-wise, I didn't know he was there yet.  He's certainly not there all the time, but still.  It was kind of a first steps moment.

The toys from his birthday still have plenty of novelty value, which kept him more or less occupied at home.  I brought the rollercoaster back inside as well, largely for my daughter's sake.  Normally the rollercoaster sits on our front deck, but right now the front deck is being utilised for Christmas lights and is less baby-safe than usual.  Having it inside provides an extra focal point for both children.

I thought my daughter would enjoy scrambling over the track, but she's actually more interested in riding it.  She can sit in the car and hold on while it goes down the track, although I don't dare leave her to it.  Instead I keep pace with the car, my hands inches away from her just in case, and stopping it myself.  Afterwards, she scrambles round to the front of the car and does her level best to push it back up.

That's the part that surprises me.  She can't quite do it yet, but she's trying and she knows what the point of getting it on track is, if her excitement is any indicator.  It's wonderful knowing that she actually likes riding the rollercoaster, but I'm more fascinated that she understands the sequence of events.


On the downside, she's spent the week fighting a cold and cutting her fourth tooth which has resulted in some very cranky afternoons.  Her brother can be set off by her crying, and there are few things I enjoy less than having to calm down two screaming children.

Still, on the whole, it's been a good week, one to make me wish I had both children at home more often.  Next week, the whole family's at home, which I am definitely looking forward to.  Maybe we'll actually get around to some of those day-trips.

No comments:

Post a Comment