Wednesday 23 May 2012

Resolution Fulfilled

Back at the start of the year, I wrote a post about how I intended to enjoy 2012.  This was predictably followed by two months of sickness and depression.  However, it's time I updated that resolution to note, for posterity, that I am, indeed, enjoying myself hugely.

I never want to suggest that my life is all sunshine and rainbows (as much as I appreciate how fortunate I am).  There are certainly plenty of down moments, like my recent patch of insomnia, the fact that we are still failing to get my son's naps right, or even the moment today where my son shoplifted a water pistol from Michael's.  I had told him in the store that we weren't going to buy it, but I only saw he was still holding onto it when we got out to the car park.  I marched him right back into the shop and talked very firmly about stealing until he finally put it on a shelf, and we were able to leave with only the merchandise we had paid for.

Anyway, while this space is for me to write about the challenges of parenting, I want to balance it out by recording that I am having a great time with the children lately.  This is probably my last year as a stay at home Mum, one of the few years I've got with really small children, and I'm not pregnant or on any medication.

It helps that we're in that glorious stage of weather before it gets too hot.  I've been taking my daughter for little walks, we've been to the beach to splash on the sandbars at low tide, we've got into the habit of having a picnic at the playground on Thursdays, we're doing bike rides as a family with the kids in a chariot, this Friday we're going to a water park, my son and I do colouring and puzzles and similar activities together while my daughter takes her afternoon nap, my daughter attends babygarden at the library and zoo-tales at the zoo, both children have gym class Wednesday afternoon which is a riot....

Life is good.

So yes, while I fret about how to tackle the latest child problem, let it be known that I am indeed making the most of these amazing moments and loving that I am able to experience them.  Even the simplest things, like cuddling my daughter after dinner today, taking turns to blow in the other's face and giggle.  My children might cause me an awful lot of work, but the playtime is more than worth it.

4 comments:

  1. Love this post, and wanted to comment because I've been meaning to tell you how much I'm enjoying your blog. (I'm sorry I never comment; I seem to suck at commenting generally, on everything.)

    I'm in a similar season of just realizing and appreciating how much easier things are these days. Similar to you, child #2 learning to walk was hugely freeing. And now that they're napping in sync and we can go out in the morning... it's just fun. Still hard and crazy-making at times, but lots of fun. I get to spend all day basically just hanging out with two of my favorite people in the world. And it won't be like this forever.

    Thanks for a post that made me reflect on all this anew.

    xoxo,
    --LBL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elle! So glad to see the new blog and love the pictures of your boys! And I'm very very glad to hear that you're having the same experience with child #2 becoming a toddler. I've often wondered how you managed with the smaller age gap--though right now, with my oldest losing the nap altogether, I kind of wish mine were closer!

      Don't worry about failing to comment. I don't do it half as often as I should.

      Delete
  2. Ahhh, it sounds like a good life, and I'm so glad you're getting some moments of perfection amid all the day-to-day. We are SO HAPPY to be able to go outside again. It's like a great big room filled with interesting things where we can just let Bun Bun roam...hurrah for summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, god, yes! Isn't outside wonderful?? I'm so grateful for our climate at the moment.

      Delete